Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Autumn Reading Challenge: Mr. Darcy's Daughters by Elizabeth Aston


This book was a good, but not great, read. I guess I expected the same richness of character found in the original by Jane Austen, but alas, it was not to be. The plot line was again a convoluted seriocomedy of manners and commentary on the social mores of the day - a la Austen - with overtones of modernity. Don't get me wrong; I did enjoy reading it, but its not a must-read and certainly not a re-read. There are another couple in the series, but I think I'll pass on them for now. Maybe next summer when I need some light summer reading.....

Dear daughter is reading it now; after that, Edie will read it. I'll post their comments soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this one - it's somewhere on my list though. I compare all regency stories to Georgette Heyer - she was a treasure chest of regency mores and manners and all sorts of wonderful slang - I don't think you can really compare something written in another era to the original, especially when the original author was Jane Austen. Still... as someone who has written her share of Jane fan fiction I can never resist.