Monday, July 28, 2008

Macrina's Pilgrimage to Greece

I stayed up late last night reading Macrina's blog about her month-long pilgrimage to Greece. It is wonderful reading, with much food for thought as well as descriptions that made me feel that I was right there with them. Being both a foodie and a baby iconographer, I found her posts about iconography and her descriptions of the cuisine particularly interesting. No surprises there!

Her husband contributed a few posts about his time on Mt. Athos, and contained therein is this quote, which I want to ponder some more:

“So long as the mind holds sway and is active and influential, the will remains constrained and subject to human desire. The will always remains fastened to the mind. But, when the mind begins to calm down and give way, the will is thereupon released and heads straightforwardly to God.” (from Orthodox Prayer Life: The Interior Way, by Matthew the Poor, p.62.)

No comments: