Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Wednesday Words

Couple of things stand out to me today.  The first is from an article about Stephen Colbert, one of my absolute favorites.  He is brilliant and hilarious all at the same time.  While talking about his father and two brothers deaths when he was ten, he spoke of how his mother kept him from becoming bitter:

"She taught me to be grateful for my life regardless of what that entailed, and that's directly related to the image of Christ on the cross and the example of sacrifice that he gave us.  What she taught me is that the deliverance God offers you from pain is not not pain -- it's that the pain is actually a gift.  What's the option?  God doesn't really give you another choice."

What most people don't know about Stephen Colbert is that he is a devout Roman Catholic who truly practices his faith.  How profound a thought: God's deliverance is not from pain, but that you will come to understand the salvific properties of pain which make it a gift.  Gotta think on this some more, but deep inside, I simply know this to be true.

The other thing I read this morning that touched me is this, from Made to Crave: "You were made for more!  More than failure... more than this cycle of defeat... more than being ruled by taste buds, body image, rationalizations, guilt, and shame.  You were made for victory."  Wow.  God never intended me to be a slave to my passions, of which food is only one.  God intended me to share in His victory over sin and the results of sin which is death.  God intended me to become more like Him, to share in His beauty which is victorious over all.  As long as I get out of the way, that is.  More food for thought.


1 comment:

Mimi said...

Oooh, I like that quote a lot. Especially since I, yet again, failed to work out this morning.